Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Opportunity of a Lifetime - Compliments of Pacific Star Winery



          Wow, where to start... So much has taken place these past two days it's difficult to decide what to write about. We arrived in Mendicino County on the tenth of October and were cruising along the windy coastal highway when the view of Pacific Star Winery came into sight. We passed and I had this strong urge to turn around and go visit/check out the place. I was interested in stopping by a winery, we had passed so many the day before without stopping so I just had to see what they were about. Much to Sheldon's dismay, I flipped the rig around and headed back to the winery. 
          We pulled into the place rain, wind and all, then scurried inside to meet the wonderful Sally Ottoson. When inside we talked of wine, places to see in Medicino and sights north on Highway 1. Upon leaving she asked if we would be interested in taking part in the wine making process, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of sorts. Sheldon and I looked at each other, looked back to Sally then nodded with excitement that we would love to have the opportunity to do so. We were offered a bungalow on the coast, a shower (what a luxury), some money for our labors, and best of all learning the process of the wine making. It was like a dream.
              We spent the night in a bungalow, a rock's throw from the beach, in a bed and with power! The next morning we met ready to work our little farm-raised hearts out. The job was pressing. The process involves taking the fermented grapes, putting them into a giant pressing machine and then pumping the wine from the grapes into a giant metal storage drum and also some into barrels. We shoveled tons, literally, of grapes into a press then watched the wine be sucked out and stored. Collectively we made around 2,000 gallons of wine. Hours and hours of careful laborious hand work we prepared the wine to be ready to collect it's flavor and be ready in two years for drinking. :) 
        After our hard day's work Sally offered us the bungalow for another night and we gladly jumped on the idea. A bed, shower, electricity... How could you pass it up? And on top of it all, an amazing view on the coast?! Almost too good to be true. It still feels somewhat surreal. We went into town after working, treated ourselves to some burgers and pizza then headed home to the bungalow to rest. 

Here are the pictures of the day's in Mendicino County. The winery, sights of the city, the drive in and out... Enjoy!       



Pacific Star Winery
Bungalow Hang-Out
The place where we learned to make wine. :)

Foggy Beach
North of Fort Bragg


Grove of trees- Natural shelter






Into the Fog
Along the coast on Hwy-1









Sheep on the Beach? 
Fellow Guests at the Winery


Back in the Day :)



 The primary colors are 1-2-3, Red- Yellow- and Blue... What about green... :(


Reflections


One benefit of the Rain, Water Droplets.

Oh, the Luxury of a shower!


No shoes in the Bungalow!


A light in the darkness... Or two, or three.

What happened to you and me? 



Key and lock to the Bungalow.

View from our window. Ocean waves crashed against the shore all night.
The last night we stayed at the winery, swells from the ocean reached 24+ feet. 
Some of the larger waves actually shook our bungalow. 
Kinda like a Jurassic Park scene...

Morning Sunrise on the Winery. 
Unbelievably Beautiful.







Coastal Moss
(Wine Barrels in the background...)








THE BUNGALOW. 
Look closely and see Sheldon greeting the morning air. 

Morning Fog





Coastal Fog
Neat View

Fall

Sunset at Pacific Star

Fear the Moose... Moosen.

Beautiful Beach. 
Caught this picture with a man walking alone on the coast. Like the shadow effect. 
Curse the power lines. I got some shots without the lines but the man had disappeared...



Fort Bragg Bay Area 
The Sun was mesmerizing this night. Amazing view. 


When leaving Sally had her boyfriend Mark take our picture with her.
He exclaimed "Cheese!'', before taking our picture. 
Sally hollered back, "Wine!"
SNAP!
Moments forever etched in time. 
Life is good. Always remember that. 

On my soap box... It won't last long. :)
A passage from Og Mandino's The World's Greatest Salesman-


"I will live this day as if it is my last.
This day is all I have and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift mine arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day. So too, I will beat upon my heart with gratitude as I consider all who greeted yesterday’s sunrise who are no longer with the living today. I am indeed a fortunate man and today’s hours are but a bonus, undeserved. Why have I been allowed to live this extra day when others, far better than I have departed? Is it that they have accomplished their purpose while mine is yet to be achieved? Is this another opportunity for me to become the man I know I can be? Is this my day to excel?
I will live this day as if it is my last.
I have but one life and life is naught but a measurement of time. When I waste one I destroy the other. If I waste today I destroy the last page of my life. Therefore, each hour of this day will I cherish for it can never return. It cannot be banked today to be withdrawn on the morrow, for who can trap the wind? Each minute of this day will I grasp with both hands and fondle with love for its value is beyond price. What dying man can purchase another breath though he willingly give all his gold? What price dare I place on the hours ahead? I will make them priceless!"
Believe it or not, you are alive. Open your eyes and the see the Wonderful World around you. 
(Steps off the soap box...)




Note: Aside from the infamous Mendicino County marijuana stigma, we did not personally "see" any evidence of the activity. Smells and interesting individuals raised an eyebrow but no tangible proof. Also, hippies and homeless are in abundance in this area. Especially the farther north we travel... Strange folk. It is very hard not to stare. I know it's rude but c'mon. Utah folk don't come across unbathed, uncombed hair, bright-colored, hemp-wearing individuals too often. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment