Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Eugene

         Eugene gave us a run for our money. We awoke to the fog and rain of Track Town with no idea on where to bathe. For some reason getting clean was a major priority this morning. We had spent the night in a quaint neighborhood but found ourselves a distance out of the city. Driving around looking for something promising to bathe with (faucets, hoses, rivers, drains, open hotel doors....), we stumbled across a very inviting steaming hot tub. Don't jump to conclusions and judge us now, we needed to get clean. It was cold, rainy and a hot tub was the perfect combination to warm up with. We found our way in and fulfilled our goal. That's all I'm going to say.
            In the rain, it becomes rather difficult to actually do things without getting wet. And since we don't have direct access to some of the amenities that  allow instant warmth after playing in the rain, we struggle to find things to do when the weather is dreary and rainy. So because of the morning rain here in Eugene we found shelter in a bagel shop. The place had wi-fi, great food and allowed us the chance to get warm and catch up on blogging! I am still a day or so behind.*
         After updating the blog the weather started to clear up so we headed to the the Duck's campus to hang out/see Hayward Field in the daylight, hoping to get inside! Maybe kiss the track or something...
On our way however, we decided to go see Pre's Rock. The memorial and place of where the great Steve Prefontaine was killed. When we came to the sight, I became silent. The remembrances placed by other visitors before me and teh memorial stone of Pre all created a very intimate moment. Prefontaine was my hero. A man whose running and dedication I tried to emulate and create in my own running career. Seeing his headstone made reality sink in. He is gone. But he is not forgotten. I left my lucky golden star in the rocks. Another token to his greatness.

Pre Lives

U of O


Eugene is "Falling"










RED, YELLOW, GREEN


Our first Recycle!


Downtown Eugene

    We headed down the hillside to Hayward Field to get some real live pictures of the track. Since it was closed for resurfacing we couldn't get in. We searched for a whole in the fence or a place to hop over, but it was very busy all around the track and we didn't feel like getting caught. That is until, I spotted a very well-known Oregon cross-country athlete, Jordan Hassay. She had just gotten out of her car and was walking into the track building. I followed her casually and made my way into the Bowerman Building. Upon entering I found myself amongst the whole University of Oregon's cross country team! NCAA Division I greats were all in the room I happened to stumble upon. Luke Puskedra, a high school rival, and many, many outstanding runners all had their eyes fixed on this stranger, me. I was in a spot now and exited nervously up the closest flight of stairs to escape. Coincidentally the stairs brought me to a great lookout of the track and a way to get onto the track! Boom-ba-da-boom! I was in!  I got some shots of the legendary track and made my way back inside just in time for the pep meeting of the team. I listened in and yearned for coaches like I was hearing. Great words of wise runners. The meeting ended and I casually walked down from the secret staircase and went outside. I wasn't done with the team yet though. I figured since I was in Oregon and may not have the chance again I would talk with the coaches, see what it would take to transfer and to make the track team. I made my way to the head coach and talked about my situation for a bit then was directed to the assistant coach.  We talked about event times needed to make the team and the reality of running for one of the best running programs in the nation. I was not dissuaded at all. It's a possibility. Just gotta run a sub 1:50 800 meter....




           


 HAYWARD FIELD












  I kind of abandoned Sheldon during this whole scene and I went to find him after talking with the coaches. We met up and headed to a grocery store to get some bread for lunch. While shopping we came across another fellow traveling crew. The group was made up of three girls and two guys travelling from Maine. They had already hit Washington and were on their way back. A bit more scraggly than us we shared stories and talked about traveling directions. Cool kids, they were about our same ages. They even let us draw on their rig! It read, "From UT, with love." In a very poorly drawn outline of the state.
                We left to check out downtown Eugene. Here we stumbled across the "Occupy Eugene Movement". It was like a homeless conglomerate. Tents covered the town square, scents of all sorts filled the air and chanting were all in full-swing. We stopped to check out all the racket, parking far from the scene and entered "Occupy". In case you haven't been following the news, which we hadn't been, the Occupy movement is taking the world by storm from my understanding. It is happening in over 700 cities worldwide and something like 30 countries. "Down with corporate greed!


             We left and went to get grub. Treating ourselves to some chicken wings. We dined in style and drove home after to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment